Zurück   highTV - Forum, Hilfe & News zu HDTV > Video, TV & HDTV Newsgroups > Desktop Video
Shop Suchen Heutige Beiträge Alle Foren als gelesen markieren
Desktop Video rec.video.desktop (read-only)
 
 
Themen-Optionen Thema bewerten
Alt 06.05.2008, 19:06   #1
Doc
 
Beiträge: n/a
Any way to control which frame YouTube uses for representative still?

I'm having an issue with some videos in that the still that comes up
in the YouTube gallery is some kind of green noise, while others come
up with just a black frame.

Any way to control or predict which frame gets used?

Thanks
 
Alt 06.05.2008, 19:11   #2
Chip Gallo
 
Beiträge: n/a
Re: Any way to control which frame YouTube uses for representativestill?

Doc wrote:
> I'm having an issue with some videos in that the still that comes up
> in the YouTube gallery is some kind of green noise, while others come
> up with just a black frame.
>
> Any way to control or predict which frame gets used?
>
> Thanks


You can go into the details about the video and choose from several
still pictures. Vimeo (another video hosting service) gives you more
choices including the ability to upload your own art. You can also
change the video later, if for example you re-edit the piece, and keep
the statistics. Youtube doesn't support this.

Chip
http://www.vimeo.com/chipgallo
 
Alt 06.05.2008, 19:18   #3
Gene E. Bloch
 
Beiträge: n/a
Re: Any way to control which frame YouTube uses for representative still?

On 5/06/2008, Doc posted this:
> I'm having an issue with some videos in that the still that comes up
> in the YouTube gallery is some kind of green noise, while others come
> up with just a black frame.
>
> Any way to control or predict which frame gets used?
>
> Thanks


If I had to guess (that's a sort of joke - I know nothing about this,
so *of course* I have to guess!) I'd say that YT chooses the first
frame in the video. So you should make sure your video starts with a
decent frame (by careful editing with a tool that facilitates doing
that).

Anyone around willing to corroborate or contradict this guess?

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) letters617blochg3251
(replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")


 
Alt 06.05.2008, 19:39   #4
Doc
 
Beiträge: n/a
Re: Any way to control which frame YouTube uses for representativestill?

On May 6, 1:11*pm, Chip Gallo <cga...@NOSPAMcitlink.net> wrote:
> Doc wrote:
> > I'm having an issue with some videos in that the still that comes up
> > in the YouTube gallery is some kind of green noise, while others come
> > up with just a black frame.

>
> > Any way to control or predict which frame gets used?

>
> > Thanks

>
> You can go into the details about the video and choose from several
> still pictures.



Yeah, I got that but all three in the various vids are either the
green noise or black.


> Vimeo (another video hosting service) gives you more
> choices including the ability to upload your own art.



I just took a look, looks pretty cool. I see it also supports stereo.
I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks!
 
Alt 07.05.2008, 16:08   #5
davesvideo@aol.com
 
Beiträge: n/a
Re: Any way to control which frame YouTube uses for representativestill?

On May 6, 1:18*pm, Gene E. Bloch <spamf...@nobody.invalid> wrote:

> > Any way to control or predict which frame gets used?


> If I had to guess (that's a sort of joke - I know nothing about this,
> so *of course* I have to guess!) I'd say that YT chooses the first
> frame in the video.
> Anyone around willing to corroborate or contradict this guess?


Sure. I'll contradict that. I just went and looked at the choices of
one of my YouTube videos. The clip is 8:43 long. The first choice is
about 1:30 from the first frame of the clip, and the 3rd choice is
about 1:30 from the last frame. The 2nd choice appears to be right in
the middle. So, I suppose that there is some sort of formulae, but it
does not use the first frame.

Dave
 
Alt 07.05.2008, 21:42   #6
Gene E. Bloch
 
Beiträge: n/a
Re: Any way to control which frame YouTube uses for representative still?

On 5/07/2008, davesvideo@aol.com posted this:
> On May 6, 1:18*pm, Gene E. Bloch <spamf...@nobody.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Any way to control or predict which frame gets used?

>
>> If I had to guess (that's a sort of joke - I know nothing about this,
>> so *of course* I have to guess!) I'd say that YT chooses the first
>> frame in the video.
>> Anyone around willing to corroborate or contradict this guess?

>
> Sure. I'll contradict that. I just went and looked at the choices of
> one of my YouTube videos. The clip is 8:43 long. The first choice is
> about 1:30 from the first frame of the clip, and the 3rd choice is
> about 1:30 from the last frame. The 2nd choice appears to be right in
> the middle. So, I suppose that there is some sort of formulae, but it
> does not use the first frame.
>
> Dave


Thanks, that's definitely informative for me.

It also seems to me to imply that the OP is just out of luck.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) letters617blochg3251
(replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")


 
Alt 14.05.2008, 00:34   #7
Doc
 
Beiträge: n/a
Re: Any way to control which frame YouTube uses for representativestill?

On May 7, 10:08*am, "davesvi...@aol.com" <davesvi...@aol.com> wrote:

> Sure. I'll contradict that. I just went and looked at the choices of
> one of my YouTube videos. The clip is 8:43 long. The first choice is
> about 1:30 from the first frame of the clip, and the 3rd choice is
> about 1:30 from the last frame. The 2nd choice appears to be right in
> the middle. So, I suppose that there is some sort of formulae, but it
> does not use the first frame.



Since posting this I've found out that it uses frames from 25 - 50 -
75%. So, the way to manipulate it if you're using the short high res
video with a long black tail trick is to wrangle things so that the
frame you want is at one of those points.

I made a file with the frame I wanted a couple of seconds on either
side of the mark just to be sure since I've noticed converting to .flv
stretches the duration a tad.
 
 


Themen-Optionen
Thema bewerten
Thema bewerten:

Forumregeln
Es ist dir nicht erlaubt, neue Themen zu verfassen.
Es ist dir nicht erlaubt, auf Beiträge zu antworten.
Es ist dir nicht erlaubt, Anhänge anzufügen.
Es ist dir nicht erlaubt, deine Beiträge zu bearbeiten.

vB Code ist An.
Smileys sind An.
[IMG] Code ist Aus.
HTML-Code ist Aus.
Gehe zu

Ähnliche Themen
Thema Autor Forum Antworten Letzter Beitrag
CR -- US vs International version ste7ens DVD Video 46 26.03.2007 18:46
COFDM technical details phil-news-nospam@ipal.net HDTV Technik 81 31.10.2006 17:57
(ot) Nintendo LTD Policy Briefing Q&A .......................................(R&D spending, future HDTV support, long read) Air Raid HDTV Technik 8 24.06.2006 22:19
Experts/Polls: Toshiba's HD-DVD dead in the water. Blu-ray will win. asj HDTV Technik 548 11.05.2006 02:26

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2 (Deutsch)
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.